Saturday, April 5, 2014

Huck Finn ch 23-30

The friendship between Huck and Jim develops further in these chapters. Evidence of this would be when Jim tells Huck more personal details about his life, such as hitting his daughter for disobeying him when in reality, she couldn't hear him because she was deaf. Little things like that really make me appreciate Jim as a character. I'm beginning to think Huck's relationship toward Jim is genuine now because readers start to see him looking out for the runaway slave. I also find it interesting how the conmen look out for Jim as well; disguising him so he doesn't get caught and making a "wanted" poster just in case anyone asks about him. I have mixed feelings about them, seeing as though they betray every living thin they come across yet protect Jim. Why waste their time helping him out? I'll never know.
I will never be one to encourage betrayal, but I was completely supporting Huck's decisions throughout this part in the story. I especially was amazed by how mature he seemed. This Huck and the Huck we've come to know from the beginning of the novel are two completely different people. Not only was he being thoughtful, he was also being selfless. Maybe Huck isn't so bad after all. All these chapters, I saw him as a bratty little kid and was more of a fan of Jim, but something about him in these past few chapters is making him grow on me. Is betrayal acceptable when trying to protect a friendship? In this case, Mary Jane and his? I say yes but that's my biased opinion on the whole situation. I really hope this isn't the end of their friendship though. Did anyone else sense a couple in the making or was it just me? Nothing like a good old romance to shake things up hahaha.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Huck and Jim's friendship seems a lot stronger. The King and the Duke intrigue me, both together and in the scope of their relationship. It's one of those things that I wish we got more information about. Also, your feelings about Huck acting mature in this section and developing as a character are completely understandable and I, too, feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do think Huck has been maturing from the beginning till now. His friendship with Jim are one of the reasons I think he is maturing. Him hanging around Tom in the beginning made him act like a little kid. Now that he is with the king, Duke, and Jim he doesn't want to act like a kid anymore. But instead act like an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your not the only one who realize that because I too have my doubts about the two conmen. I want to know why they would hurt someone and not have remorse but help Jim in every single way positive . Nothing's free in their world so their has to be something they are hiding. When Jim brought up his daughter and how he hit her I would to ring his neck open like I know slaves back then got hit and I know they didn't like it so why raise your hand up to your child. Mind you she is deaf like that made me sooooo made. But him and Huck have a right bond and since the start of the book till now I can actually cal what they have a REAL friendship. Overall I guess we both have bias opinions because I to believe it's ok to betray a friend or another individual when it comers to protecting a friend or person . They'll know why you did it so it really won't be that crucial . But for one think I don't trust the king and the duke but on everything I wanted to see their faces when the real brothers came. He tried to name peters tattoo and it was his initials lolz I would've been on the floor cracking up just to see the ghost expressions they might've had.

    ReplyDelete